Monday, December 29, 2008

Now don't be TOO jealous . . .

. . . but today, December 29, Carol walked over to our across-the-back-fence neighbors to ask them about—oh, it doesn't matter what. She just went to ask a question.

When she came back some 30 minutes or so later (and Carol doesn't tend to be chatty, so that tells you something about the neighbor) she was carrying a small paper sack. She put the sack on the kitchen counter.

Just now I walked into the kitchen and glanced inside the sack. There I saw four ripe (or nearly ripe) home-grown tomatoes.

No, our neighbors don't have a greenhouse or an indoor garden. The have a regular, run-of-the-mill back yard vegetable garden, and it's still producing.

Yes, we did have one light frost a few weeks ago, but the neighbors covered the plants with plastic and they (the plants) survived just fine. To those of you shoveling snow and fighting ice-slick roads on your daily commute, I apologize.

I know: it DOES get really hot here in the summer. No question about that. But there are some years when we don't have any winter at all.

All in all, I'd say things pretty much balance out.

4 comments:

Jan said...

We had our last tomato for Christmas dinner although I did pick it before it was totally red and put it in a dark place until it reached the right color. This is one reason I left the cold and snow...just couldn't wait for global warming.

Nankin said...

I got our last tomatoes at Thanksgiving. People at work thought I was fibbing about them being home grown.

Designer Girl said...

I have having a gorgeous salad for dinner tonight and a roast chicken. Want some?

Happy 2009 to you and Carol. It is going to be an AWESOME year and I hope you receive everything you ask for .... in abundance. *hugs*

Jack K. said...

Thanks for sharing. It helps to think of such things and look forward to Spring.

I must admit I am a bit envious, but I refuse to move for now. :-D

We have been fortunate in our part of the country. The snow and ice have not been too bad, but the temperatures have been wicked.

Hope you and Carol have a happy, healthy, prosperous new year.