Saturday, September 13, 2014

Internet Permanence

Statement:  Nothing you post on the internet ever goes away.
Proof of Statement:
Fact 1.  In 2001 Carol and I took a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Africa.  I posted a journal of the trip, with pictures, in a blog.
Fact 2.  At that time, Raid bug killer used the slogan, “Kills Bugs Dead.”
Fact 3.  The Swahili word for “bug” is “dudu.”
Fact 4.  On my trip I saw (and took a picture of) a huge billboard outside of Nairobi, Kenya, that said...  Well, here’s the picture:

Fact 5.  Today, 13 years later, I received the following email:
Hello
I was going through photographs online and came across your blog that mentions you took a photo of a billboard in Nairobi that said 'kills all dudus dead.'
I'm an entomologist working with Nature Kenya and would like to use this photo in a presentation on the conservation and importance of insects.
If you could share the photo by email I would appreciate it - and will credit you for its use of course.
With thanks
Kind regards
Dino
Dr. Dino J. Martins
Insect Committee of Nature Kenya
The East Africa Natural History Society & Turkana Basin Institute, Kenya
http://www.harvard.academia.edu/DinoMartins
www.discoverpollinators.org
dududiaries.wildlifedirect.org
www.turkanabasin.org
I rest my case.
(Yes, I sent him the picture and received a nice acknowledgement.  And yes, I'm pretty sure he's legit.  Check this link:  http://discoverpollinators.org/pollinators/pollinator-handbook/ )

5 comments:

kenju said...

How about that!! Wow, what a lesson for us all. It never goes away...
LOL

Steve said...

If I recall you were going to be remembered for a photo of frogs or turtles in a pond.

Candace Williams said...

John! How in the world are you?

Steve said...

It has been over a year, time for a new post. Hope all is well.

Unknown said...


Carpet cleaning works are necessary essential things that must be done regularly to maintain the shape of your house and to look beautiful and elegant most of the time Our company ( Cleaning Company in Riyadh ) is keen to invest the excellent tools to get the best results in addition to the equipment for cleaning and drying Which make the furniture clean in a very short time.
تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
تنظيف موكيت شمال الرياض
تنظيف موكيت شرق الرياض
تنظيف موكيت غرب الرياض
تنظيف موكيت جنوب الرياض