Sunday, December 02, 2007

What's in a name?

Have you heard or read about the brouhaha over naming a teddy bear Muhammad? Of course you have. But just in case you haven't . . .

Gillian Gibbons, a British school teacher in Sudan, asked her class of seven-year-olds to name a teddy bear, right? And they (not she) decided on the name Muhammad. A few months later someone complained. She was arrested, charged with “insulting religion and inciting hatred” (hatred!?), and after an eight-hour hearing was found guilty and sentenced to 15 days in jail. She MIGHT have been sentenced to receive 40 lashes!

What? You don’t believe me? Read about it HERE.

Anyway, some of the folks in Sudan were so incensed that they rioted, chanting, “Kill her!”

Now, those of you who read this blog know that I usually avoid political or religious topics. Please allow me to put those prohibitions aside for one post.

I am a Christian. I believe that Jesus is the living son of God, and my savior. If you don’t believe that way, that’s fine. And if you want to name a teddy bear, or a trash can, or a toilet Jesus, I would simply smile, shake my head and go on with my life.

The God I worship does not need any man or woman to defend him. He is quite capable of defending himself. Frankly, in my opinion, ANY god who needs man to defend him (or his holy prophet) is not much of a god.

So . . . That said . . .

Do you know what a teddy is? In some circles it is an item of lingerie. You know—a lady’s undergarment.

As a joke (or an attempt to make people smile), my wife years ago made a small fake teddy out of vinyl material to hang in our car as a trash container. It’s really a caricature of a teddy, with fake lace and . . .

Okay, here’s a picture:


Anyway, I’ve decided to name the teddy. It’s never had a name before; it’s just been referred to as “the trash teddy.”

Well, starting today I’m naming it Muhammad.

(And if anyone in Sudan reads this blog post, I’m in a HEAP of trouble!)

12 comments:

Shesawriter said...

Yes, I heard about the teddy bear story and I think the whole thing is pretty damned ridiculous. Insanity is rampant these days and I think I've about reached the end of my patience. That's about all I'll say.

Karyn Lyndon said...

Call it what you want but I think that trash teddy looks more like a Madonna...

Unknown said...

Karyn beat me to it!

Jan said...

How boring and humorless life must be in Sudan.

Nankin said...

I couldn't have said it better. No wonder these people blow themselves up.

BTW, the trash Teddy is wonderful. I have to say again how creative Carol is.

Christina said...

OMG! How freakin' ridiculous!

Well, you know Santa Claus has to lose weight and he isn't allowed to say "ho ho ho" anymore. I guess it all falls in line...

And, yes, I remember the trash teddy well.

kenju said...

Good for you! I did read about that in Sudan, and it is so darn scary to think that they are calling for her death!

Peter said...

What a load of BS, and it was the kids who named the teddy anyway!!!
BTW I don't think its their "God" that gets upset or needs men to defend him, its the bigoted cranks who supposedly represent him that cause all the problems, the rest of the population do seem to be pretty easily led though don't they!!

Anonymous said...

aw romantic ramblings indeed, nice teddy!

I am glad that those sheep who got all bent out of shape over poor ol Muhammad didn't go after the KIDS too.

Candace said...

I don't think they believe it's their GOD that gets all upset; it's that their law prohibits anyone insulting the Prophet (Muhammad). Now, if you insult the KORAN, that's a death penalty (just ask Salmon Rushdie). Of course, in both instances, neither the Prophet nor the Koran were, in fact, insulted - that was their perception of what happened, though. Or, at least, what they CHOSE to perceive. You really have to wonder about a people who are that touchy!

I LOVED the trash teddy - that Carole is amazing!

Designer Girl said...

I don't think I could ever work in an African country (besides my own of course) or a muslim country. Especially being a white woman. I think I have seen enough movies and heard enough on the news to keep me away from those countries for life.

Brenda said...

I'm horrified about the teacher, but hysterical about the teddy.

Thanks for the laugh...heaven knows we all need one, given the state of the world today!