Monday, March 01, 2010

Birthday card fun

The Earle family is not big on picking out special birthday gifts. Often Carol and I don't even buy the other one a gift for a birthday.

Oh, we always celebrate; usually with dinner out, some wine, or maybe even a round of golf at a slightly more "upscale" course than the ones we usually play. For our adult "kids" we usually just send the gift everyone wants -- a check!

Ah, but card selection is a different matter altogether! The message on the card is critical, and might require trips to several stores over a few days to find the one that is just right.

My daughters and I try to outdo each other with really awful puns. When I think I've found one for a daughter that's bad enough I show it to Carol. If she gags and retches, it's perfect!

But Carol and I, when picking out a card for each other, try for humor that's a bit more subtle. We also search for a message that will have a special meaning for the recipient. Maybe a double entendre. Even better, a card that's not intended to have a double entendre, but for us it does because of one of our (usually my) foibles.

We are not wine snobs. Oh, sorry, I meant wine "connoisseurs." We enjoy a glass of wine with a meal, and usually know if a particular wine is a red or a white (or even a "blush!"), but beyond that it's either smooth and pleasant, or it bites.

However, often a glass of wine (especially TWO glasses) leaves us in a fond, romantic mood.

That "foible" made this card she recently bought for me that much more appropriate:



Here's the inside:


I'll leave it to you to figure out what the W. P. initials stand for.

6 comments:

Christina said...

I'm not sure I want to know what the initials stand for...

Duke_of_Earle said...

Hey, I'LL never tell!

kenju said...

With pity?? or maybe "without pity?"

Duke_of_Earle said...

Kenju,

Nice try ( . . .I think), but not really even close. Nothing to do with pity.

John

Nankin said...

I'm one of those people who hate sloppy, sentimental cards. My kids often get ones for their birthdays they would rather hide.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Nan,

I'm with you! Sloppy sentimentality just ain't my style!

Give me clever humor every time.

John