Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Success!

Since I'm sure you're all dying to know, the public speaking opportunity today went very, very well, thank you.

I am basking in a glow of contentment, remembering that this group of about 38 people (most of them retired, but some still employed and all politically active) applauded with enthusiasm and urged me to stay and tell them more after about 45 minutes of after-lunch speaking.

Talk about your perfect audience! And I wasn't doing a stand-up comedy routine, I was talking about my workplace! What a boring, go-to-sleep topic right after a big meal!

I can do this! I'm pretty good at it, too. (Ha! What modesty? If you got it, flaunt it!)

The president of the organization said I was the best speaker they'd had in over a year, and they want me to come back.

Lantz, if you're reading this, make sure the publishers all know what an effective marketer I can be for my novel! And look at this writing style—lots of white space and almost no "ly" adverbs! (I just about wrote "hardly any 'ly' adverbs," but that would have included one.)

Hype aside, it was fun today. I was a little nervous at first, but once I got started it flowed very well. The audience was excellent, asking lots of good questions and leading me on.

The president also said she was going to write my boss a letter and tell him how much they appreciated me speaking instead of him. No, wait. That didn't come out right. Greg, they would have enjoyed you, too. Really! I meant they enjoyed me since you couldn't make it.

(My boss reads my blog. Gotta be careful!)

And, to those of you who wrote comments or emails about earlier posts:

VIKI: Victoria, TX, is a small town. My "local college or university" is a community college. Or I drive 120 miles to Houston to find one of those "open mic" opportunities you spoke of.

But it's a good idea. Chicago this is not!

HAMEL: You had an invitation to do a book signing? My goodness, I thought those had to begged for, sometimes with significant bribes.

No, I wouldn't call you dumb. You're obviously very intelligent. Had I been in your place, however, I would have told all my friends that I did not expect them to come, much less buy my book, but I'd be grateful if they told all of their friends to come and buy several copies as gifts!

Schnoodlepooh: I did have fun. As for the "soon-to-be-published" part, that remains to be seen. What convinced Lantz to represent me was my assertions that I planned to actively and aggressively market any book of mine that made into commercial print. Plus he met me and saw that I could be personable, articulate, and (I hope) effective in meeting others and presenting myself and my work. Maybe some publisher will give me a chance to prove that I can do all that and help them sell enough copies to make us both some money. (Oh, bad writing style there. I used TWO "ly" adverbs in the same sentence!)

FIN: Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I don't know you and your profile can't be viewed, so you are a mystery person. Stop in again and send me an email sometime.

And, MICHELLE: You are so sweet! All such flattery is gladly accepted and will get you everywhere!

Remember Tom Cruise in "Top Gun?" That was me. (Well... Almost. I'm better looking. And more modest!)

Tell you what... If you get that "beeg book store" to buy my book and let me come do a book signing, I'll come! (Hey, it'll be tax deductible if it's a "business" trip!)

Good night, all. The Duke is retiring (to bed, not from the day job. I've still got bill to pay.)

(See that, Greg? I'm NOT retiring from my job! NOT!!)

5 comments:

Karyn Lyndon said...

Congrats on your speaking success! (Did you really go to bed at 7:45? I guess your neck was tired from holding up that big head. God knows what will happen when you get published.)

:)

Duke_of_Earle said...

"Big head" indeed! I just tell it like it is. Or maybe how it ought to be. Or maybe...

Experience (and the Bible) tells me that "pride goeth before a fall," so look out! Must be a fall coming. (Or maybe that means "autumn?") Whatever.

Oh, and my bedroom habits are nobody's business (hmmph!) But I'll confess that I did go to bed (and sleep) early last night. My excuse is I have the alarm set for 4:45 a.m. on work days, and I need my beauty rest.

(Hmmm, Carol also made a comment about my big head. It's a common misconception, or an optical illusion. Gotta be.)

(And, this Egyptian river is nice to swim in!)

the many Bs said...

Glad to hear that it went well. I'm also hoping that your boss has a good sense of humor. I just think that you should keep at it, don't give up, keep a positive attitude, and your book will get published!

Duke_of_Earle said...

Schnoodlepooh: No need to worry about my boss. Greg is a prince, and has a GREAT sense of humor.

(See, Greg? That's how I ALWAYS talk about you. Honest!!)

Anonymous said...

What is up with these publishers anyway? Don't they realise you already have an ardent fan club waiting to read your book? AND that you have an international fan who wants to arrange a book signing in Cape Town just like Marian Keyes did (oh and she also had 2 TV appearances to talk about her book)!! Jeesh ... they don't know a good book when they see it *wink*.