Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Just Good ol’ Boys, Never Meanin’ no Harm.

Both my daughters were pre-teens and teenagers when the television show “The Dukes of Hazzard” ran once a week. They grew up on Beau, Luke, and Daisy Duke, Uncle Jesse, Cooter, Boss Hogg, and the rest.

With the recent release and popularity of the movie version of “The Dukes of Hazzard” came the recollection of a time when my younger daughter Amy was nearly overcome by a pun.

It was just a couple of years ago. We were on our way from South Texas to Winter Park Colorado for our annual family ski trip and Amy, though an adult, was riding in the car with Mom and Dad.

Not far from Amarillo, driving beside a railroad track, we saw approaching from the other direction a train with four locomotives on the front and a pusher at the back. The cars were all open top hoppers filled to a point above the sides with coal.

As the train roared past I turned to Carol and said with a bit of a drawl, “Well, that looks like a Roscoe.”

Carol glanced up and nodded, “Yep. A Roscoe P.”

That’s all we said. The groans from the back seat didn’t stop until about the time we crossed into New Mexico.

(If you don’t get it, you’re not a “Dukes of Hazzard” fan.)

(If you DO get it, I apologize.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me cringe... now I'm real glad we took our own car that year!

Karyn Lyndon said...

I never watched the show but I did wear the shorts.

the many Bs said...

I don't get it.

Jodi said...

When I was younger, whenever I'd cry over something, my brother would say, "JD Hogg, rolling down the street." And I'd go into hysterics.

Still works to this day, 25 years later.

Monica said...

My oldest was a toddler and LOVED the Dukes of Hazzard. The new wave of popularity has brought a lot of those memories back. The new movie will never be able to beat the original series...in my opinion...
thanks for the memories, :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry - don't get it - but then again I live in Africa and though I am a goddess, you can't expect me to know everything! Right?

Hope you had a good day.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I thought EVERYBODY watched the Dukes of Hazzard! Are you going to explain the joke for those that missed out on this whole experience?

JPS said...

That was awesome. I'm surprised the groans stoppped in New Mexico.

Nic said...

Winter Park is the best ski resort. Don't you just love it! Obviously since it's an annual ski trip thing. LOL!