Wednesday, August 31, 2005

On to Plan C...

As news of the horrible devastation of southern Louisiana and Mississippi continues to indicate that Hurricane Katrina is one of the worst natural disasters to hit that region ever, we are altering our plans slightly once again.

We have now definitely decided to take the more northern I-20 across those two states, hoping to avoid most of the damaged areas. Amid reports that nearly 90% of Mississippi is without electric power and may remain so for days, we have made a few other schedule changes.

We now plan to leave EARLY (before dawn) tomorrow morning and try to make it all the way to Montgomery, AL, in one long push.

The only reason we wouldn’t make it is if stations along the way have no gas (or long gas lines), if there is no power to pump gas, or if there are road closures we don’t know about.

I wrote proudly a few weeks ago about our wonderful GPS antenna and laptop with MapPoint combination that will keep us from ever getting lost. Trouble is; knowing where you are doesn’t help if you can’t get fuel.

Yeah, I know gas has jumped to $3.00 per gallon. I’m STILL not ready to cancel or postpone this trip!

What, ME hard-headed? You bet! I come from a long line of hard-headed people, and I uphold the tradition proudly.

Sometimes my hard-headedness stops just short of stupidity. Other times it doesn’t even slow down, let alone stop.

In any case, we’re going to leave in the morning and see how far we get.

So, faithful readers, you may get a post tomorrow, or Friday... Or you may not. I’m making no promises other than this: If the opportunity presents itself to write something you may want to read, AND to go online and post it, then you’ll get a post. Otherwise...

Be patient. I imagine I’ll have plenty to report about the trip. Probably a few pictures at some point as well.

Joy, if you’re reading this we still think we’ll be there Friday afternoon. With the earlier start, we MIGHT make it by lunch time. But Murphy’s Law tells me that it’ll probably be late that day. We’ll let you know by phone.

(WARNING: SUDDEN CHANGE OF TOPIC.)

I’ve just returned from checking TINA’S blog (as I do periodically in the slowly declining hope that it will yield some evidence of her formidable wit and writing ability).

WHOA!! There was actually a new post there! It appears that she has picked up the gauntlet I threw down, and is slapping my face with it!

Please do click the link and read it for yourself. It’s worth it. Karyn, you in particular might enjoy it.

To tease you I will quote an excerpt here: “And yes, I am a bit obsessed with where I put my behind. It must be clean and it really must flush...”

There. That gives you an idea of the high intellectual level of her topics.

(Makes me wonder what she sits on at the dinner table. And her office furniture must be... Hmmm.)

8 comments:

Candace said...

Hope everything goes great for ya, John -- have a good time and bring back lots of blogworthies!

the many Bs said...

Have a WONDERFUL vacation, John. I'll be thinking about how much fun you're having and waiting for you to post those photos, quicko, pronto. Be safe.

T. said...

Quoting people out of context and then holding it up as an example of their intellectual prowess is cruel and wrong.

Here's a snippet from your very own blog: "About ten minutes later I hit the flush handle on a urinal in the men’s room, and..."

Was that just a warm up before you thrilled us with your dissertation on "Ode on a Grecian Urn"?

P.S. I do mock because I love.

Duke_of_Earle said...

T,

I'm seldom accused of cruelty. Being wrong happens often, but cruel? Gee.

That was merely a shameless attempt to pander to the prurient intersts of those who might not otherwise take the trouble to click the link and read your estimable blog. A tease, as I think I said in my post.

And I, too, mock because I love. (Plus I'm trying to be entertaining!)

John

Anonymous said...

Be safe, have a wonderful time and don't get up to too much mischief. Am looking forward to reading all about your trip.

Anonymous said...

Of course I'm reading this! I hope you have no trouble getting here. Looking forward to your visit (and posted pictures of Trevor).

kenju said...

Hope your trip goes well, and you have no trouble finding gas. My daughter called me today, saying her husband had gone to Charlotte today on business and the gas station across from his office was already out of gas about 4pm today.

Karyn Lyndon said...

don't forget your matching appliqued canvas "vacation" totes and crocheted swimsuits...

(we will miss you)

p.s. Tina's post is hysterically funny...but...was it my prurient interests you were pandering to? i think that was another barb...