Friday, July 20, 2007

No posts for a week?

Sorry.

I've been contacted by several people wondering if I'm all right. The short answer is, not really.

Last Sunday my lower back started hurting. I didn't do anything I'm aware of to precipitate it, it just became uncomfortable to sit in one position for very long. On Monday afternoon it felt better and I thought I was on the mend.

Nope.

By Wednesday it was getting quite bothersome, and yesterday and today I've been barely able to get around.

I've been struggling in to work every day because we're busy right now, I had interview appointments with several job applicants this week, and I hated to put them off.

Greg, if you're reading this, see how dedicated I am? (Greg is my boss, in case you didn't know.)

Anyway, I've been too busy at work to type out a post (Greg, not that I would EVER do that during work time -- just on a break!), and at home the last thing I want to do is sit in front of the computer for any length of time.

I'll be back. Soon, I hope. Carol is giving me lots of TLC, although she keep making comments about me being invalid. No, not being "an invalid," but being invalid.

I THINK she's making a joke.

Maybe.

Surely . . .

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, nothing worse than back pain. At least once each year the muscles in my lower back tighten up and I end up walking like an old charwoman for a few days. My doctor is good about giving me a jab for it. Two days and two shots, and I'm almost back to normal. Good luck.

kenju said...

When you lie down in bed, be sure to prop your legs up under the knees to take the pressure off your lower back, and if you lie on your side, put a pillow between your knees. I have had a lot of back trouble and that always helps. Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your back. But of course humans were never meant to walk upright which is why we have so much trouble with our backs.

Peter said...

Bad luck about the back John, I think most of us have been there at some time so we understand.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Steve, Those "jabs" you mention sound damn good right now. I have some prescription pills from my doc for 750 mg of tylenol laced with a pretty stout dose of codeine (an opiate). "Take one every 6 hours." It moderates the pain but doesn't take it away, and it causes me to float along in a drugged haze.

Kenju, Excellent advice. I usually sleep on my side, and that knee/thigh pillow gives me relief from the pain so I can sleep. Trouble is, when I MOVE after being in one position for hours the knives go through me again. But that's better than no sleep!

Jan and Peter, Thanks for the understanding. I know I'm not alone in this periodic adventure in pain. At least it DOES pass, eventually.

Candace said...

Ouch! John I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain. Surely your doc will let you in to see him/her without having to take too much time off work. Besides, you might be injuring yourself further by trying to carry on without x-rays. Oh sorry, you've already got Carol to nag you about that... :)

Hope you get real relief soon. We'll look forward to your regular posts!

Badabing said...

Sorry to hear about the back, duke. I know first hand how painful that can be. Get well soon!