Friday, February 03, 2006

Carly Simon had it right!

Ahhhh. The last work day before a long-awaited vacation trip.

Well, I ought to put the word “work” in quote marks. Very little actual “work” got done today.

Oh, I cleaned up the office. I put a temporary outgoing message on my voice mailbox. “I will next be in the office on Monday, February 13. If you need assistance before then, press zero now. Or you may leave me a message after the tone and I’ll respond when I return.”

I set up the “Out of Office Auto-Reply” in my email program. I made sure EVERYBODY knew I was going skiing next week.
No, I was not gloating! I was extending to my peers the professional courtesy of keeping them informed as to my absence. So there!

Oh, OK, I was too gloating! But I tried not to grin TOO broadly when they complained about all the work going on next week that I’ll miss.

Yeah, I know. The week of the 13th will be a bitch, because all the work of the preceding week will have piled up and I’ll be spending extra time to get it all done and get caught up. But it’ll be worth it.

But back to Carly. Remember “Anticipation?”


“We can never know about the days to come
But we think about them anyway, yay...

Anticipation, anticipation
Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'”


As I said to Kenju in response to her comment yesterday, “Just like the anticipation of a dentist visit is usually worse than the actual visit, the anticipation of a vacation trip is often BETTER than the trip itself.”

Anyway, the car is now packed except for the last minute (refrigerated) stuff, and all is in readiness. Even if things go wrong on the trip, this is going to be fun! I can feel it. I “anticipate” it.

Why?


“cause these are the good old days.
These are, the good old days.”

3 comments:

kenju said...

I really do hope you guys have a barrel of fun, John. Do take care, so as not to come home with anything broken!

Thanks for the link!

the many Bs said...

Enjoy your ski trip. Yep, I'm jealous of the vacation, but I would rather be somewhere warm and most of all, DRY, right now. Quack.

Hale McKay said...

Have a good trip, John. Enjoy.

Like Peg, I'd rather be someplace warm.