Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Two unrelated topics

First, let me say that the “Not Right For Our List” notice from the literary agent was not any kind of real disappointment. I had figured long, long before that their silence was an eloquent way of saying “No thanks.”

I just found it surprising that they bothered to send the form rejection card at all after so much time. It seemed to me that after 8 full months something more ought to be stuck in the envelope than just the blue card.

Maybe something like, “Hey, sorry, but I just found your query where it had fallen behind my filing cabinet." Or maybe, "Hey, John, my assistant just found your query in an old stack of mail my former assistant never opened."

I read Miss Snark. I understand that the publishing industry moves v-e-r-r-r-y slowly. But some writers do depend on reasonably prompt communications to earn a living. Most real businesses do as well. I certainly wouldn’t want that agent representing me if it took that long for me to get a royalty check!

Next topic: I was tagged by Shirl a few days ago as follows:

1. Write six weird things about yourself.
2. Post this confession of the absurd on your blog.
3. Tag six other bloggers to do the same challenge.
4. Leave a comment on each of their blogs to inform them they have been chosen

Now, why Shirl thought I might have ANY weird attributes is beyond me. But one man’s “weird” is another man’s “normal,” so here goes:

1. I can smile and whistle at the same time. No, I don’t mean a little grin while I pucker and whistle a tune. I mean a big, toothy, ear-to-ear smile. How? I use my tongue and upper palate, and can whistle recognizable tunes for long periods of time. I used to drive officers crazy when I was in the military. I’d stand in formation with a big grin and whistle, and they could never figure out who was doing it.

2. I cry at sappy, happy movies and at weddings. Very un-macho.

3. I work while Carol stays home and takes care of the thousands of things that two-income families have a hard time getting done. We both like it that way.

4. (Now THIS is REALLY weird!) I married Carol 38 years ago and love her more today than ever. Can’t help myself.

5. My wife beats me at golf just about every time we play (unless she’s playing really badly), and that’s OK. Even when people ask me if my husband plays golf after they see me wimp a drive.

6. I love leftovers, so Carol can cook a huge meal once a week or so and we’ll eat from it for the next six days. Easy on her, and doesn’t bother me at all.

So, there you are. Weirdness by the half-dozen.

I think I’ll skip tagging the requisite six others and let any of you who feel more weird than normal (and that’s gotta be REALLY weird for some of you) have a go at it.

6 comments:

Karyn Lyndon said...

Who was the agent so we can not waste our time contacting them? Don't worry...I won't tell...

As to your weirdnesses...that's pretty tame stuff there. Okay, so maybe you're a little more in touch with your feminine side than most...and you suck at golf. I know a lot of men who wish their wives stayed home and took care of the stuff that never gets done. My husband is one of them.

Anonymous said...

only 6 ?

Christina said...

I can think of a lot more weird things about you! Don't be so modest.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Me? Modest?? Now THAT would be REALLY weird!

But that's OK, dear daughter. No need for you to brag(?) about your father's weirdness.

(No need AT ALL!!)

Anonymous said...

Other than the smiley whistling (which is nothing short of admirable as I can't whistle a note) I think your weirdness champions happy married life! And there isn't anything wrong with that! Thanks for joining in John.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Shirl,

I never said there was anything WRONG with my weirdness(es). I was making a thinly veiled statement that, unfortunately, it seems that long marriages and single-income families are becoming increasingly rare. And thus weird to some.

John