Sunday, July 10, 2005

Another rest-less day.

No day of rest—not this Sunday. Oh, no. We had more work to do on the arbor.

I tried “encouraging” Carol all week, but she always seemed to find other things to do. I mean, how much encouragement should it take?

I expected that she’d AT LEAST have all the measurements done and marked for me to do the cutting, but NO. She felt compelled to do OTHER things all week, like yard work, and laundry, and cooking meals.

I mean, come ON! Where the heck were her priorities?

We were at the stage where we had to notch out the long lateral “roof” supports, and then notch out the cross-members (joists) to fit so the whole thing would have a “fitted together” look.

I could describe the structure again, but if you go back two weeks to the post of the last Sunday in June you’ll see one (description). Eventually I’ll have some pictures, but not yet. We still haven’t entered the digital age with regard to cameras, so when we get the film developed you’ll have a chance to see several shots of “Bambi” from the golf course, and our back-yard arbor.

Today the Hades index in our back yard approached 100%, but didn’t quite get there. The closest it came was right after Carol measured a board for notches, marked them off, and I cut them. Then we found that she had mis-measured. Hoo boy, you shoulda seen the steam rising from HER!

We had to go buy another board! It was under $6.00, but you’d have thought her mistake had cost us thousands. She probably won’t get over that for weeks.

But at the end of the day (6:10 P.M.), the structure was complete except for the trellis material we’re going to screw on as a “roof,” to support the Jasmine and encourage it to grow across it and cover the whole thing.

It really looks nice from ten feet or more away. Any closer and you can tell that the ends of the boards don’t exactly line up. At least Carol says she can tell. I can’t. As I keep telling her, “A man on a fast horse won’t notice it.” She remains unconvinced and unamused. Go figure.

Guess I’ll have to go back to “work” tomorrow to get some rest.

6 comments:

Karyn Lyndon said...

This made me laugh out loud several times.

Re: digital camera. Wasn't it destroyed the day the fridge ate your hand?

Duke_of_Earle said...

Laughter is good! Several times is even better.

Uh, sorry to burst your bubble, but that whole "fridge" thing was fiction. Including the "expensive" digital camera.

My daughter Amy (the one with the degree in Graphic Design, who makes excellent use of one) had a $2,000 investment in digital camera and lenses "disappear" in an airport while on vacation with friends a month ago. Nobody remembers turning their collective backs on the carry-on stuff ever, but when they got home there was no camera bag. An exhaustive search of airlines and airport "lost and founds" was fruitless.

I don't know which "demise" would be worse: theft or ruination from rising ice-maker water.

Karyn Lyndon said...

I KNEW the fridge thing was fiction...I don't think refrigerators really eat your hand. But I didn't think you would actually "fictionalize" owning a digital camera (it could have just as easily been your 35mm destroyed in the flood). That's just wrong...lol

Anonymous said...

Hey Duke, not only will the man on the fast horse not notice it, the horse won't either.

the many Bs said...

Sometimes those things are only visible to the person who created it. Our imperfections are always glaring to ourselves. I doubt if anyone will notice at all.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Peg,

Imperfections? Who has those?