Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Pride

This morning I saw Karyn’s comment on my post of yesterday. In it she had the nerve to accuse me of having a big head!

Can you IMAGINE??!

Oh. You can? Well Phtb-b-b-b-tt to YOU!

Hmmph!

Anyway, I thought about that all day today. I bounced back and forth among feeling defensive, abashed, irate, humiliated, haughty, and humble. I began to think that the topic of PRIDE (and humility) might make a good blog post.

THEN I thought it might be fun to put it into rhyme.

Here’s what I came up with:

(Ahem...)


Some say that I can often act a little bit too proud—
That when I toot my horn I toot it just a mite too loud.

In fact some people tell me, “It would be much more genteel,
If you would tone it down a bit; stop acting like a ‘wheel.’”

They tell me folks who elevate themselves and act so brash
Will often later come to grief and topple with a crash.

Well, no one likes a braggart or a strutting peacock type,
From whom you never hear the facts, but only get the hype.

Unless he truly IS the best, and everybody knows it,
And during all his long career he never really blows it.

For instance, men like Cassius Clay, who though he’s not the latest,
First changed his last name to Ali, then shouted, “I’m the Greatest!”

He proved his greatness through his deeds, and reigned as champ for years,
His pride was OK. People praised him. All you heard were cheers.

So clearly there’s a difference between being braggadocios,
And being someone really good, or young and real precocious.

The difference can be miniscule and hard to see at first,
But over time it hits you, kinda like a cosmic burst.

I guess I should be humble and let others make the choice
About my “greatness,” and not let them hear it from MY voice.

But darn it, from the time when I was little—a mere youth,
My Mom and Dad would spank me if I didn’t tell the truth!

So though I’m sorry that my bragging seems uncouth and crass,
I call it like I see it, thus avoiding a red _____.


There. Those are my thoughts on THAT subject.

Yours? (If you have any. I mean, just because I have thoughts on the subject doesn’t mean that mere mortals also do.)

11 comments:

Karyn Lyndon said...

Gee, John, I just said you had one tiny little big head...is that so bad??? And I also said "when" you get published...not "if". I thought that was nice.

Oh well, I guess if you find inspiration for poetry from my pointing out something you already said, and I quote:

"I can do this! I'm pretty good at it, too. (Ha! What modesty? If you got it, flaunt it!)"

then it's worth it.

Karyn Lyndon said...

Oh, and congrats on 6,000 hits! Of course you are asleep now, (you early riser, you) while the hits just keep on commin'!

kenju said...

My husband could have written this poem! He has an ego the size of a Hummer, as most aging jocks do. LOL

Duke_of_Earle said...

Karyn:

What you actually said was, "I guess your neck was tired from holding up that big head." That did not connote "tiny" to me, but I guess it's all relative. And your "when" (not "if") I get published WAS nice. Thanks for that!

My point was not to put you down, but to let all my readers know that although I may sound like I'm bragging, I'm just being honest! Well, sorta. I think. Maybe...?

Aw, shucks! OK, I'm bragging and I'm probably going to get punished for it. (But it was fun!)

And Judy (Kenju): "Aging jocks??" I prefer to think of it not as ego, but perhaps as "youthful exuberance." Btw, be carefull talking about Hummers -- you're liable to get Karyn going on THAT subject again.

Duke_of_Earle said...

opal:

Actually I think I said I was better looking than Tom, but since that's a bit subjective, not quite everyone may agree. I also claimed to be more modest than he is, but since neither one of us has a shred of modesty, it's hard to tell us apart on that point.

Karyn Lyndon said...

I know...I couldn't believe she said it with a straight face. The hummers I'm used to are NOT that big.

re: Tom Cruise. You look more like "Leo" DiCaprio to me.

the many Bs said...

There once was an author who wrote a bit,
His blog was so good it got 6000 hits,
His pride was well earned,
A milestone was turned,
When his book was published and he made a mint!

BTW, I don't think you are bragging.

Bill said...

You know, someone once said, "It's hard to be humble when you're great." Nice post, John.

Anonymous said...

There's confidence, and then there's arrogance. Any time one is confident, they walk the line of seeming arrogant. And remember, what I see as arrogant isn't what someone else may see as such.

Congratulations, Duke.

Anonymous said...

Loved your poem.

Anonymous said...

Said Duke of Earl,"Worth a lick,
I can't seem to write a limerick.
And no one'll ever confuse
Me with Top Gun Tom Cruise,
I look much better than Maverick."

Way to go on the speech, and the 6000th hit.