Sunday, March 26, 2006

More on cakes...

Yesterday one of my regular readers (who happens to be a New Englander, right Mike?) mentioned that he’d never seen or heard of a groom’s cake.

I did some extensive research on the topic (meaning I Googled the words “groom’s cake” and looked at the first link that popped up) and found the following very good explanation.

For all you Yankees out there, here’s what a groom’s cake is all about:

“Having its roots in Southern tradition, the groom’s cake has been around for quite some time and is making a fashionable comeback on the wedding scene.

“Traditionally, a groom’s cake was sliced and boxed for the unmarried girls attending the wedding to take home and place under their pillows in hopes that the man they dreamed of would be their future husband. Groom’s Cake has come along way since then. Today the cake is meant to be a reflection of the groom’s interests, whether it be one of his hobbies, favorite sport, alma mater, profession, etc.

“It’s a personal choice when to serve the cake -- either at the rehearsal dinner, as an alternate dessert with the wedding cake, or as a late night dessert for the wedding party. Just because primarily groom cakes tend to be a fruit cake or a chocolate cake shouldn’t dictate what the bride and groom should have. Obviously being named “Groom’s Cake” it should be a flavor and theme that the groom enjoys.”


I hope that helps.

I’m always happy to bring information and knowledge to the culturally challenged. Since I was once a Yankee myself, but have now seen the error of my ways and moved to Texas, it’s my duty to thus enlighten my former countrymen. And citymen. And women.

See how educational it can be to read Romantic Ramblings? And if you miss a few posts, think how impoverished your cultural education might be.

8 comments:

kenju said...

In my profession as a wedding florist, I have seen some fabulous groom's cakes. There was the scale model of a yellow VW bug, the groom's first car. Then a gridiron showing UNC and Duke at play. Then a golf hole. complete with sand traps and flags. Some of them are true works of art - and more interesting than a bride's cake to me.

Anonymous said...

I also think the groom's cake tends to be more interesting (although not as beautiful). Plus it's almost always chocolate!!!

the many Bs said...

let's just have our cake and eat it too!

Hale McKay said...

Hmmm..In my first 17 years, which were in West Virginia, I must have been sheltered. I don't recall a grooms cake. Then again, I never went to a wedding while I lived there.
...Case solved. Thanks for the lesson in wedding cakes, John.
...Yes Peg, let's eat the cake.

Anonymous said...

Duke,

So you're telling me "unmarried girls attending the wedding to take home and place under their pillows".

Er right... I bet they get home sit on a couch and scoff the bleeding lot. Thats what Mrs Robot would do, it wouldn't last 2 seconds.

RJ

Duke_of_Earle said...

Kenju, I knew you would know all about groom's cakes from lots of experience!

Peg, yeah, that's the great thing about the pictures. You can still have at least a visual reminder of the cake after it's eaten.

Robojam, well, that's the tradition. But in practice I think you've figured out what really happens. Or maybe they DO put the piece of cake in a box under their pillow until they wake up hungry. Great midnight snack.

John

Shesawriter said...

Learn something new every day. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'll take 1000 slices please and a sleeping tablet to knock me out long enough to dream about lots and lots of men.

I did not know it was called a grooms cake. We just give out slices of wedding cake wrapped in celophane which everyone can take home with them and those unmarried girls, like you say, can put it under their pillow to dream of her future husband. I wonder why it never worked for me? *grin*