Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Our yucca’s response to warm sun

Last week I mentioned that what little winter we were to experience in South Texas had already limped out of the area, shoved and prodded by the surging warmth of spring.

As proof I offered a photo of a yucca in out back yard landscaped area that was thrusting up a center shoot in preparation for blooming. Here’s the shot, taken last Wednesday, one week ago.



I know it’s difficult to tell the height of that shoot, but I’d guess it had risen about 8 inches above the topmost leaf spike. Here’s the same plant on Monday:



And here it is, from a slightly different angle, today:


At the rate it’s growing and putting out buds, I’d imagine that within one more week it will be fully covered in brilliant white flowers. Stay tuned (or come back from time to time) for additional photographic progress reports.

4 comments:

Shesawriter said...

That's a beautiful plant. If I didn't have a BLACK thumb, I'd have lots of them. Only I kill everything. LOL!

Tanya

kenju said...

Isn't it amazing how fast they can grow? I'd love to see it when it opens up.

Hale McKay said...

So far nothing has started to bud here yet. The usual harbinger of Spring in our yard is the Forsythia (sp? too lazy to look it up.)But it hasn't budded its yellow leaves yet.

kenju said...

Thanks for the visit, John. The ice vase is slightly hollowed out on the top, just enough to allow the placement of several blocks of oasis floral foam.